Memorials have long been used to memorialize the deceased. They are usually permanent fixtures like large headstones or statues however, there are other monuments that are just as special but more affordable. Many people want to set up a monument to their lost loved one after a service at a funeral home in Boiling Springs, NC, but can’t afford the more traditional structures. Need some inspiration? This list of ideas for affordable monuments can help you memorialize your lost loved one while staying on budget:
- Write a Memorial – Even if you’re not a gifted writer, it can still be meaningful to write some kind of memorial for your lost loved one. Try writing a poem, memoir, short story, or even just an essay about how you feel about their life and loss.
- Repurpose Belongings – You can repurpose almost any of your lost loved one’s belongings as a memorial. For example, you can turn a shirt or blanket, pillow, or stuffed animal.
- Make a Playlist or Mixtape – Music is very powerful and can help us work through difficult emotions. Make a playlist or a mixtape that reminds you of your lost loved one so you can listen whenever you’re thinking about them or you miss them. Don’t forget to share it with family and friends.
- Memories – Your memories of your loved one are always with you and are also completely free. Use your memories as a monument to the deceased by telling stories about them to younger generations and by asking friends, family, and other loved ones to share their stories as well. Make these memories more permanent by asking people to write them down in a journey or, for the more tech-savvy, making a video compilation of them telling their memories.
- Cremation Jewelry – Cremation jewelry takes part of the deceased’s cremains and turns it into jewelry that you can wear or carry with you at all times.
- Photographs – Everyone has many pictures of loved ones, so it’s easy to use photographs as a monument when someone you love passes away. Simple framed photos and scrapbooks are equally meaningful and help you remember them.
- Give to Charity – One of the best ways to honor the deceased is to help their good legacy live on through charitable giving. Even a small donation will go a long way toward helping a cause that your lost loved one believed in or cared about.
- Plant a Memorial Garden – Flowers, trees, bushes, and other living things are always a beautiful reminder that life goes on and there can be beauty in the wake of loss. Plant a memorial garden for your lost loved one at home in your yard or work with your local authorities to plant a garden or even a tree in a public place.
These are just a few of the many ways you can memorialize your lost loved one without spending a large amount of money. We are here to help if you want more tips on memorialization or information on Boiling Springs, NC funeral homes.