How to Decorate a Gravesite
Personalizing your lost loved one’s graveside with decorations after a funeral home service in Boiling Springs, NC is a wonderful way to recognize their passing and celebrate their life. But how do you decorate a gravesite?
Use these tips to help guide you as you decorate your lost loved one’s gravesite and honor their memory. But remember, at the end of the day, whatever décor you choose should be focused on the deceased and their life.
- Think About the Season – A great place to start with gravesite décor is with the season. For example, create a Christmas or Hannukah decoration around the holidays or set up a pumpkin-inspired scene in the fall.
- Choose Durable or Permanent Decorations – Don’t leave anything on the grave that will become dirty or damaged if left outside in the elements. Instead, opt for materials that are tough in the face of wind, rain, sun, heat, or cold.
- Check Cemetery Rules – Most cemeteries have guidelines for what can and cannot be left on graves. Be sure to check with your cemetery before leaving any decorations.
- Keep It Well Lit and Visible – Small items left on gravesites are often accidentally stepped on or destroyed by the cemetery caretakers. Make sure your items are either big enough to attract attention or well-lit.
- Consider Faith and Culture – Another great way to find gravesite decoration inspiration is to look at the deceased’s faith and culture. Honor their heritage and beliefs with décor, and be sure not to leave something that would be offensive to their faith.
- Consider the Weather – You want to avoid leaving something that will spoil in the hot sun during the summer, or something that will freeze and break during the cold winter. Think about the season and the weather when choosing your décor.
- Come Back and Check – If you choose to leave décor on your lost loved one’s gravesite, be sure to come back and check on it regularly. Replace worn-out or damaged decorations so the grave doesn’t become an eyesore.
While every cemetery will most likely have its own unique rules and guidelines for what can and cannot be left on gravesites, there are common items that you should always avoid using in gravesite décor. For example, avoid mylar or latex balloons. These materials are very dangerous for animals. Instead, try blowing bubbles, leaving garden spinners, or using biodegradable materials. Also, don’t put up a fence or blocker of some kind around the grave as it will prevent the employees from performing maintenance, and don’t use glass as it can break and cause injuries. Finally, avoid unsecured or lightweight décor. If the decorations don’t stay put, they could end up all over the cemetery, which is disrespectful to other mourners and causes extra work for the staff.
Keeping their grave beautiful can also go a long way towards helping you work through your grief and loss. Do you want more tips on decorating gravesites or Boiling Springs, NC funeral homes? We are here to help and are honored to do what we can for you in your time of loss.